Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Steel kisses

I love singing too...
This is a video of a guy playing two instruments simultaneously, the flute, not sure what metal they make them out of, but they are metal, and it looks like he is kissing it...and the other instrument is the most versatile of all, his vocal chords, I was impressed...



So at the tender young age of 12 or 13 I decided to subject myself to the rigors of Junior high choir. I felt it was a noble cause, a talent that should not remain hidden or undiscovered. I felt it my civic duty to express myself in this new musical medium.

Honestly though, at first I think it was because I thought "all the cute girls are in choir, if you want to get one of them, you gots to sing too!" SO I joined in the singing frenzy. Believe you me, some of those kids in the Junior High Choir were, how shall I say it, well I can't think of anyway to say it mildly, they stunk! Although I didn't have a lot of experience I knew it! So I stayed with it and lasted longer than my other hard rockin' amigos, but I never did land me a cute singing babe...

Let me tell you the sad tale of one of those cute singing babes, Jessica Spears. She was definately my closest catch, I almost completed this conquest. She has since been very aloof for many many moons in Idaho. I was always totally lost in her voice, and her curly blond hair, she had a great smile too...ah err ah... (sorry EJE) her voice, yeah her singing... she sang like an angel, and I could never do enough to convince her that I was cool... or maybe there were other reasons... Nope I am pretty sure that was it, I just wasn't cool like that. well life goes on...

Anyway I have included a few samplings of songs I love, they have all the right ingredients, good vocals, nice harmonies, vocal percussion, high energy, its an award winning combination! There is some Ben Harper the guy that taught me that vocal percussion was cool, M-Pact the awe inspiring harmonies, and some Rockapella the standard of Excellence if you will in the A capella scene, I once drove all the way to Idaho from Cheyenne just to see these guys in concert! That my friends is some real love...you can't tell me that you don't know who these guys are...

Here is one song I am sure you'll recognize, Folger's theme song.
The following song brings back some "good ol' days" I sure have fond memories of that show. The theme song for that show has got to be their most famous... Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

My buddy Brandon and I would watch it, as they were rich ranchers and had a satellite dish, and we would play the game on their Mac PC for hours, I really liked it and have known what Speulunking was since the 3rd grade, even though I can't spell it...It was a great resource for when I went spelunking er a caving in the ice cave, I could impress the ladies with my advance vocabulary...okay maybe not, but the ride there in my truck was a plus, unless it died on the way home...hmmm.

I have also included Shambala, its a personal favorite...I can't say that I love the video per se, I don't understand the profile dancing but its still a great song.

I was once in a group, PopRox, we sang this song and had a great time with it.

I absolutely love M-Pact, Willie may jab and tease but I have always been a fan. They were responsible for inspiring me to continue pursuing singing and to make it a goal to be in an a capella group. This is another lives song from m-pact, not bad for a live outdoor venue, eh?

Okay so that is it, I am a fanatic, I'll admit it... its okay, to each their own...right?

3 comments:

iAMbarticus said...

Nice braheim... gotta love dem choir dayz. Just as a piece of advice... when you compose your post you can highlight the words, lets say "Shambala", and then in the toolbar click the little green shape with a chain link... then put in the website... it will link those words to the video. that way I don't have to copy and paste all your wonderful web addresses. If you want an example you can look at my blog. See the purple words?

Petie said...

Hilarious! I love that video...that was so awesome! Ahh...the good old choir days. I always wondered if that was the real motivation for guys to be there...thanks for the info. :) hehe.

Emily said...

That video was pretty cool (for the record they make flutes out of silver, nickle and gold if you are rich and famous--his looked silver). Also, I sang a Ben Harper song at a wedding (Not Fire, Not Ice). Good choices on the music.